SGW101x – Wireless BLE Modules with nRF52840 SoC for IoT Applications
Nordic Semiconductors announced that SG Wireless is going to employ nRF52840 Bluetooth 5/ Bluetooth Low Energy advanced multiprotocol System on Chip(SoC) to power it's SGW1010 and SG1011 modules. The SGE1010 and SGW1011 are able to reduce the engineering efforts and development costs associated with adding Bluetooth 5, this accelerates the time to market. They enable nRF52840 SoC support for Bluetooth 5, hence allow OEMs to utilize the Bluetooth 5 Long Range and Advertisement extension support features in IoT Product designs. This made these modules suitable for a range of IoT applications like the connected home, smart city infrastructure, industrial mesh networks, industrial smart lighting, and transport and logistics.
Features of SGW101x BLE Module:
- Uses SoC 64MHz, 32-bit ARM Cortex M4 processor with a floating-point unit(FPU).
- Has a 2.4GHz multiprotocol radio that supports Bluetooth 5, ANT, Thread, Zigbee, IEEE 802.15.4, and proprietary 2.4GHz RF protocol software.
- 1MB Flash memory and 256kb RAM.
- Provides advanced, highly flexible, ultra low power multiprotocol solution.
- Enables Bluetooth LE connectivity for portable and extremely low power embedded systems.
- Supplied in a form factor of 1.2 x 15 x 2.1 mm.
- 2x on-air raw data bandwidth (2Mbps), 4x range, and 8x broadcasting ability.
- Advertising extension that increases the advertising packet payload size to 251byte.
- RX sensitivity of -95dBm, a maximum power output of 8dBm and a total link budget of 103dBm.
Note: The complete technical details can be found in the SGW101x datasheet attached at the bottom of this page.
The nRF52840 multiprotocol SoC supports complex Bluetooth LE and other low power wireless applications that were not possible in the previous single-chip solutions. The SoC was designed to address the inherent security challenges that are faced in IoT and incorporates the Arm CryptoCell-310 cryptographic accelerator, offering the best in class security. The S140 Soft Device in the SoC offers concurrent Central, Peripheral, Broadcaster, and Observer Bluetooth LE roles, and supports high throughput and long-range modes as well as advertising extensions. The SGW1010 module provides an embedded PCB trace antenna, whereas the SGW1011 module offers an u.FL connector for an external antenna.
For more details about nRF52840 visit the product page on the official website of Nordic semiconductors.